At least 1,200 companies now profile what you do across websites for ads and marketing. Social networks have managed to plant widgets everywhere that collect data about what you read and where you go. Anybody can target ads to you using your email address, fueling a robust business in matching your email to characteristics like your income level and your politics. Marketers now use IP addresses to link what you do on your phone with what you do on your laptop. The Do-Not-Track initiative seems to be dying a slow, painful death.
Do you care? Or is it just to hard to do anything about it?
Today we’re launching Privacyfix to find out. Privacyfix challenges you to take about 10 minutes to make the most important privacy choices you have about Facebook, Google, the websites you visit and the companies that track you. We’re making it as easy as possible for you to take control of where your data goes. Now it’s up to you to seize that power.
Watch the video to see how it works.
We hope you’ll find that Privacyfix delivers in these ways:
- Comprehensive. For the first time, one service brings together a complete set of privacy settings and controls across Facebook, Google, websites you use and companies that track you. Tracker blocking and widget blocking are built in.
- Balanced. We’re not making choices for you, we’re making it easier for you to understand and make choices yourself. When you use Privacyfix to navigate to settings on Facebook, we will show you the most private setting, but we also explain that tradeoffs.
- Easy to use. It’s easy because we give you a single view of all of your settings and with one click we take you to the place where you can review and change your settings if you need to. When everything’s green, you know you’re done. When you need to attend to something new, we let you know.
- By your side. Privacyfix gives you a Privacy Healthbar in your browser, which shows you where you stand across the sites that you use. Too much orange means you need to proceed with caution, particularly when it comes to providing your personal data or connecting your Facebook profile.
- Completely private. Privacyfix uses your history, cookies and social network settings strictly within your browser, and never transmits any of this data anywhere else.
Privacyfix builds on the site and tracker ratings that are built into Privacyscore, which we continue to support. But we’re not planning additional investment in the Privacyscore front-end, and are encouraging people to make the jump for the best experience.
Launching Privacyfix involved more user feedback, testing and iteration than any prior launch, and I hope it shows. We’re dedicating this launch to all the fine people who took the time to help us out. You are the best.