Introducing Privacyfix: Now it’s up to you.

At least 1,200 companies now profile what you do across websites for ads and marketing. Social networks have managed to plant widgets everywhere that collect data about what you read and where you go. Anybody can target ads to you using your email address, fueling a robust business in matching your email to characteristics like your income level and your politics. Marketers now use IP addresses to link what you do on your phone with what you do on your laptop. The Do-Not-Track initiative seems to be dying a slow, painful death.

Do you care? Or is it just to hard to do anything about it?

Today we’re launching Privacyfix to find out.¬†Privacyfix challenges you to take about 10 minutes to make the most important privacy choices you have about Facebook, Google, the websites you visit and the companies that track you. We’re making it as easy as possible for you to take control of where your data goes. Now it’s up to you to seize that power.

Watch the video to see how it works.

We hope you’ll find that Privacyfix delivers in these ways:

• Comprehensive. For the first time, one service brings together a complete set of privacy settings and controls across Facebook, Google, websites you use and companies that track you. Tracker blocking and widget blocking are built in.
  • Balanced. We’re not making choices for you, we’re making it easier for you to understand and make choices yourself. When you use Privacyfix to navigate to settings on Facebook, we will show you the most private setting, but we also explain that tradeoffs.
  • Easy to use. It’s easy because we give you a single view of all of your settings and with one click we take you to the place where you can review and change your settings if you need to. When everything’s green, you know you’re done. When you need to attend to something new, we let you know.
  • By your side. Privacyfix gives you a Privacy Healthbar in your browser, which shows you where you stand across the sites that you use. Too much orange means you need to proceed with caution, particularly when it comes to providing your personal data or connecting your Facebook profile.
  • Completely private. Privacyfix uses your history, cookies and social network settings strictly within your browser, and never transmits any of this data anywhere else.

Privacyfix builds on the site and tracker ratings that are built into Privacyscore, which we continue to support. But we’re not planning additional investment in the Privacyscore front-end, and are encouraging people to make the jump for the best experience.

Launching Privacyfix involved more user feedback, testing and iteration than any prior launch, and I hope it shows. We’re dedicating this launch to all the fine people who took the time to help us out. You are the best.

This entry was posted in Facebook, Folks, Google, Privacyfix, Pros. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Introducing Privacyfix: Now it’s up to you.

1. Nolan says:

I really appreciate the work that is occurring here. When you get a chance would you please work on creating Safari compatibility?

Also, take a look at duckduckgo … they are sweet … oh and I don’t get a dime from them.

2. Jim Brock says:

Hi Nolan, we’re at work already on Safari. There are some additional challenges in terms of what the add-on needs to do it’s work, so it may not have full functionality, but stay tuned.

Also we love http://DuckDuckGo.com, too!

3. Sergio Luis says:

Hello,

This is an awesome project.
    Although i am using ghostery that blocks many things, is amazing how many companies were/are tracking me.

And is so simple to use, direct links for settings at the click of a button, simply perfect.

Congratulations on the great work you have done :)

4. Daniel Paul says:

This looks like a really interesting tool, but having installed it in FireFox it opens your website and then just shows the following;

Privacyfix is setting up.
    This can take up to 30 seconds.

After more than 20 minutes waiting I figured it wasn’t working so I closed Firefox completely and re-opened it… same thing. Just doesn’t seem interested in working for me… any suggestions?

• Jim Brock says:

Hi and thanks for checking it out. 95% of the time this kind of issue results from multiple privacy add-ons running. While it’s true you can never be too safe, if you are seeing interference, we suggest that you disable other addons when you first run Privacyfix. This allows you to work with your Facebook and Google settings and then disable our addon if you prefer to keep other blocking addons going. Please let me know how it goes — contact@privacychoice.org

• HS says:

I experienced the same problem but was able to configure Privacyfix after disabling addons. Does this imply that PF’s results showed less privacy than I usually use?

• Jim Brock says:

Thanks for reporting that, and yes, Privacyfix doesn’t yet take into account other blocking you have in place. This is actually coded and set for our next big release, so that we will show you as protected from tracking even if you aren’t enabling the native Privacyfix blocking functionality. Let me know if that doesn’t make sense, and if you’d like me to ping you when that’s available, just shoot a note to jim(at)privacychoice.org. Thanks!

• Daniel Paul says:

Just to follow up on this, I managed to get it to work successfully a few hours later, possibly an intermittent problem on one end or the other… I know my router (BT Home Trash 3) has been particularly ropey of late, dropping connections randomly so perhaps that had something to do with it. Thanks for the suggestions though!

One thing I will note is PrivacyFix keeps suggesting I fix my Facebook posts being set to public, but they are in fact set to Custom privacy, which is set to friends only with some excluded groups… which, ironically is the fix is keeps suggesting I apply. Not sure what’s going wrong there…

Other than that everything seems to be working as expected… I must admit to being somewhat surprised by the number of tracking cookies lurking in my browser Oo

5. Pingback: Keep your privacy “Privacyfix” | Let's know what happen around us,and how can we deal with it

6. Pingback: Class Tuesday, October 23, 2012 | MHS Web Design

7. Andy Renals says:

I found you courtesy of a TED talk by John Perry Barlow. Glad that I did. Thanks.